Quality delivery and client satisfaction are important factors in the construction industry. To enhance these factors in the Niger Delta region, PIND in partnership with Construction Kaiser Limited seeks to develop a Construction Industry Linkages Project aimed at bringing about access to better-skilled artisans and price competitive quality goods and services for large construction firms leading to improved performance and the overall growth of the construction industry. This project seeks to create about 5 construction services firms and improve the economic conditions of those at the base of the pyramid in the construction industry. It would help reduce unemployment amongst this targeted group leading to the reduction in vices and criminalities.
Expected economic and social impact include:
- Cost reduction for large construction companies leading to financial gains as a result of improved quality of services and workmanship by trained artisans.
- Access to better-skilled artisans and price competitive quality goods and services, leading to improved performance and the overall growth of the construction industry
- Creation of new jobs (over 160 jobs targeted) due to creation of new services firms and the improved performance of supported artisans
The project will run a one-year pilot to test the efficacy of the model, learn lessons and then incorporate the lessons in the design of a scale up which would be driven by project partners.
The pilot will be implemented thus:
- Identification of key large construction companies willing to buy the services of the artisanal firms; such companies will be enrolled as partners to the project
- Identification of specific opportunities for artisans in partner construction companies via a market/scoping study which will also serve to increase knowledge of the landscape for artisans: available skills, underlying constraints, structure, support systems /institutions, etc
- Linking partner construction firms to trained Artisans and Artisan firms for jobs
- The construction of the 14 storey Radidon Blu hotel would serve as the hub project for the pilot. Trained artisans would be able to refine and apply the skills they have learnt on the construction of the hotel.